Previous page
Next page

Mixed numbers & improper fractions

Mixed numbers to improper fractions
Improper fractions to mixed numbers

Changing mixed numbers to improper fractions

To change a mixed number to an improper fraction:

  • multiply the whole number by the denominator of the fraction
  • add the existing numerator to give the numerator of the improper fraction
  • the denominator of the improper fraction remains the same.

Changing mixed numbers to improper fractions


Changing improper fractions to mixed numbers

Example 2 shows how to convert an improper fraction to a mixed number.


Test yourself

Convert between the following mixed numbers and improper fractions. Roll your mouse over the question to see the answer.


Equivalent fractions



We value your comments and feedback. Please fill in our feedback survey on this resource. Feedback survey

Developed by the Study & Learning Centre, RMIT © 2006