10 tips for effective emails
Use the following tips to help you with your emails.
- Think before you write. Plan your message.
- Use the subject line to capture your reader's attention.
- Keep your message short and clear. Remember that
the screen shows only about half of what you see on hard copy.
- If your message is long, give a summary at the start.
- You are accountable for what you write. Always write
your message as if your boss were going to read it.
- Do not send angry messages. Take a few minutes to
cool down before you start your email.
- Don't type your message in capitals. Capitals are
considered to be SHOUTING and are rude.
- Respect common grammar & spelling conventions.
Don't type your entire message in lower case, and run a spell / grammar
check over the message.
- Send messages only to people who need to read them. Respect
other people's time and don't forward junk email to them. Use CC: and BCC: sparingly.
- Proofread your message before sending it. You should
always reread your message before you send it and correct any mistakes.
The structure of an email