How to summarise
To create / write a good summary, you should read the article or text a number of times to develop a clear understanding of:
- the author's ideas and intentions
- the meaning and details
- the force with which the ideas are expressed.
Writing a summary
Use the following steps to write a summary.
- Write notes in point form using keywords; this will make it easier to express the ideas in your own words.
- Write the summary directly from your notes without re-reading the passage.
- Refer back to the original to ensure that your summary is a true reflection of the writer's ideas.
- Topic sentences provide a quick outline of the main idea(s) presented in a paragraph.
- When summarising a chapter or article, the introduction and conclusion should provide a good overview of the content.
Read for meaning