Tips for limiting interruptions
Even when you have planned your time well and have clear study goals, life is not without interruptions. A few useful strategies can help you to minimise the effect of interruptions on your study.
- Learn to say 'no' or 'not now but maybe later'.
- Ignore the phone or let the answering machine screen calls. Turn your mobile phone off.
- Make sure you plan time for social activities and family life.
- Find a place to study where you are less likely to be interrupted. Leave the house! Go to the library to study.
- If you study at home, close the door. Put a friendly 'work in progress' sign on the door.
- If someone does interrupt you, stand up. People are less likely to hang around if you remain standing.
How I use my time